To celebrate the first user other than myself I started the work on the site i18n/l10n. Luckily Yii again makes that quite easy, the most difficult thing actually being creating a robust language selection ui XD The two flags on the right upper corner didn't actually work on the first go on every page.
Funnily enough, I managed to break almost every part of the site requiring authentication when I started bringing in the speed improvements. For some reason the php.ini setting session.save_path got reverted to some value that wasn't writable by the web server process running on my privileges and prevented me from doing anything when logged in.(Instead the session just ended on every page load and I had to relogin.)
To make things much harder to debug, my development server environment was able to write to it's own session.save_path and everything worked there as expected.
I'm going to fix it all as well as test some different approaches on loading the assets(There actually is a nice solution for this too in yii) when I'm well again, but today I think I'm going to invest my spare time in Fallout: New Vegas.
I made the update, well before May Day =P
I'll talk about it in a bit. Too tired now.
Hahaa! I made some tests.
I took the old pallokorva.org(the one you see now) and put it head to head to the newest development version running elsewhere in a speed competition where the major criteria for winning is: How long will it take after typing in the address before I can read the text content of the page. The results are shocking. Dare I even write them down.
For the sake of getting some actual difference between the two I throttled the 20Mbit/sec adsl line down to mimic an old 11kbps modem(Of course it doesn't do similar latencies, but at least they were consistent over all test runs.) and emptied all caches. The php side has not been optimized in the new version in any way, so it played no role in the results.
Decided to edit the logo "a bit". I've been feeling hesitant to use the old logo here anyway as it looked a lot like Mickey Mouse's head and Disney is not a company with a reputation to allow anything resembling their trademarks, however remotely, to last.
I'm open to suggestions on how to further improve the logo, but that will do for the moment.
Yea, I've written the site anew using yii php framework and it only took me two weeks to do that. And even then I've only had about an hour per day of free time on most days.
There's still a lot to do, but yii really does make building web sites a breeze. I can't wait to find out everything I can manage to code here.
I updated the site to drupal 7. It went smoothly, but I lost a lot of functionality.... Thus there will be a completely rewritten site here relatively soon.